Unit 1. FAMILY LIFE
Part I. PHONETICS
Exercise 1. Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
1. A. chore B. work C. more D. divorce
2. A. trashed B. talked C. reached D. loved
3. A. prepare B. help C. tennis D. tell
4. A. husband B. mum C. contribute D. vulnerable
5. A. cleaned B. shared C. called D. visited
6. A. skill B. split C. children D. finance
7. A. breadwinner B. clean C. each D. lead
8. A. balance B. challenge C. career D. happy
9. A. share B. alike C. tradition D. equal
10. A. generation B. grateful C. educate D. grandparents
Part II. VOCABULARY
Exercise 2. Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
11. Linh can’t go out with us to see a movie now because she’s ____ meal.
A. preparing B. making C. arranging D. keeping
12. I’m responsible for cooking dinner as my mother usually works ____.
A. lately B. early C. later D. late
13. I usually ____ my younger sisters when my parents are away on business.
A. pick up B. take care of C. look for D. take charge of
14. Ms. Mai asked me how she could ____ household chores equally in her family.
A. make B. divide C. give D. contribute
15. In my family, my father always takes charge of doing the ____ lifting.
A. strong B. hard C. heavy D. huge
16. My mother told me to do the ____ yesterday but I forgot about it since I had much homework to finish.
A. wash-up B. laundry C. childcare D. exercises
17. ____ the rubbish in the early morning is a part of my daily routine.
A. Taking out B. Coming out C. Pulling out D. Bringing out
18. My wife is going on her business next week so I have to ____ most of the chores around the house.
A. distribute B. hold C. take D. handle
19. Mr. Hoang found it difficult to be in charge of the household ____.
A. financial B. financially C. finances D. financier
20. ____ is a person who works at home and takes care of the house and family.
A. Breadwinner B. Homemaker C. Servant D. Houseman
21. When his wife gave birth to a baby boy, Mr. Nam became the sole ____.
A. housemaid B. housekeeper C. father D. breadwinner
22. My mother and I often go to the supermarket to shop for ____ at weekends.
A. cook B. groceries C. heavy lifting D. the chores
23. After eating dinner, I have to do the ____ and then do my homework every day.
A. washing-up B. wash-up C. washing-ups D. washings-up
24. Her husband is very kind. He always cares ____ her and never puts all of the housework ____ her.
A. about – in B. for – in C. about – on D. with – on
25. To Hoa, her father is the greatest person in the world and he always sets a good ____ for her.
A. role B. behaviour C. example D. action
26. We take ____ in doing the washing-up, cleaning the floor and watering the flowers.
A. turn B. out C. around D. turns
27. Most people will receive ____ benefits when sharing the housework in their family.
A. enormously B. enormity C. enormous D. strong
28. Like his mother, Viet is a ____ child who can talk openly to anyone.
A. social B. sociable C. generous D. critical
29. After marriage, Mrs. Hoa always keeps good ____ with her mother-in-law.
A. association B. relation C. friendship D. relationship
30. In many countries, divorces ____ to rise because of long-standing conflicts.
A. tend B. have C. aim D. encourage
Exercise 3. Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
31. We always split the housework equally – my mom cooks, my dad cleans the house and I do the washing-up.
A. join B. break C. share D. pick up
32. Parents are recommended to collaborate with teachers in educating children.
A. part B. cooperate C. separate D. disagree
33. Newborn infants are more vulnerable to illness than others.
A. easily hurt B. strong C. safe D. hard to affect
34. We’re surprised to hear that his musical talent was nurtured by their loving parents when he was a child.
A. abandoned B. limited C. fostered D. restricted
35. In spite of poverty, we manage to raise our children properly.
A. give up B. go up C. make up D. bring up
36. She decided to find a job to earn money instead of just living at home and being a housekeeper.
A. lend B. make C. borrow D. raise
37. It is advisable that everyone in family shares the household duties.
A. views B. ideas C. jobs D. chores
38. In the 20th century, most of the traditional attitudes to remarriage are changing.
A. conventional B. contemporary C.latest D. new
39. After consideration, teaching is still a career worth pursuing as I prefer to become a teacher like my mother and my father.
A. work B. unemployment C. occupation D. professor
40. The government needs to seek a solution to prevent domestic violence as soon as possible.
A. recreation B. remedy C. keyword D. technique
Exercise 4. Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
41. From my point of view, parental divorce can cause lasting negative consequences for children.
A. beginning of a marriage B. the situation of not marrying
C.single person D. ending of a marriage
42. It is important to create a daily routine so as to improve your work-life balance today.
A. a situation in which two or more things are not treated the same
B. a state that things are of equal weight or force
C. a state that things are of importance
D. a situation that things change frequently in amount
43. In my view, husbands should contribute to the household duties in order to reduce burden on their wives.
A. minimise B. lower C. decrease D. increase
44. We try to create an atmosphere of comfort and security for our children.
A. safety B. harmony C. danger D. shelter
45. My husband willingly helps me do the chores at weekends so that I can have more time to relax.
A. eagerly B. reluctantly C. agreeably D. readily
46. In my family, my mother always does the cooking and shopping, my father has responsibility for mending things, especially electrical devices.
A. impairing B. fixing C. repairing D. curing
47. When having days off, he always helps his wife tidy up the house.
A. clear up B. sort out C.arrange D. mess up
48. His parents have been highly critical of his recent disobedience.
A. disapproving B. favourable C. crucial D. uncomplimentary
49. Ms. Lan taught her children to keep their rooms neat and tidy when they were four.
A. ordered and untidy B. messy and arranged
C. messy and dirty D. clean and undusted
50. Setting and clearing the table, making bed and taking out the trash are suitable chores for 8- to 10-years-old children.
A. inappropriate B. proper C. acceptable D. Reasonable
Part III. GRAMMAR
Exercise 5. Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
51. Hoang ____ his email four times a week in order not to miss anything important.
A. checks B. will check C. is checking D. check
52. Nowadays, people ____ social networks with more and more caution.
A. uses B. are using C. used D. use
53. At the moment, my sister ____ her homework, my brother ____ games.
A. is making – is playing B. is doing – is playing C. does – plays D. makes – is playing
54. It’s 7.00 p.m. now and we ____ meal together. We usually ____ dinner at that time.
A. have – eat B. have – are eating C. are having – eat D. are having – are eating
55. I ____ a bike to school every day but today I ____ to school by bus because it was stolen yesterday.
A. rode – went B. ride – am going C. ride – go D. is riding – am going
56. That Hoa ____ in class affects other students around.
A. always talk B. is always talking C. always talks D. always talking
57. Hoang and Phong ____ football as they’re having class now.
A. don’t play B. are playing C. doesn’t play D. aren’t playing
58. Hoa usually ____ charge of doing the washing-up in her family.
A. takes B. is taking C. take D. will take
59. Our friends ____ for the fashion show now.
A. is preparing B. are preparing C.prepares D. prepare
60. All staff in this restaurant ____ an urgent meeting right now.
A. are attending B. is attending C. attends D. attend
61. After the physics lesson, the children know that water ____ at 100 degrees C.
A.will boil B. is boiling C. boils D. boil
62. My mom ____ to the supermarket every Sunday for shopping.
A. goes B. go C. is going D. are going
63. Look! Minh ____ on stage. She looks so beautiful.
A. sings B. are singing C. is singing D. sang
64. Bich sometimes ____ chicken noodle soup for breakfast.
A. are having B. is having C. have D. has
65. Who ____ the guitar in that room, Hoa?
A. playing B. is playing C. play D. plays
66. Jenny often ____ jeans and T-shirt at school but she ____ a gorgeous dress today.
A. wears – is wearing B. is wearing – wears C. wear – is wearing D. wears – wears
67. First thing in the morning, I ____ a cup of milk tea.
A. has B. am having C. have D. will have
68. Ms. Kim ____ very well when she’s under pressure.
A. not work B. don’t work C. isn’t working D. doesn’t work
69. I’m sorry, Lan is busy now. She ____ her document on the second floor.
A. are checking B. check C. checks D. is checking
70. Hurry up, Linh. Other friends ____ for us.
A. are waiting B. waits C. wait D. is waiting
Exercise 6. Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
71. I look for Daniel. He isn’t in the company.
A B C D
72. Mommy, someone are calling me from unknown number. I won’t answer it.
A B C D
73. My alarm rings at 6 o’clock every morning. Therefore, I always went to school on time.
A B C D
74. What are you search for, Lan? You look so nervous.
A B C D
75. We can’t play golf. It rains outside.
A B C D
76. Bats usually sleep during the day and they play and eating at night.
A B C D
77. She suggests that a coffee is tasting good after a meal.
A B C D
78. I am not mind if you turn on the air-conditioner.
A B C D
79. Quiet, my baby sleeps. Don’t wake her up.
A B C D
80. Bach is funny right now. He keep telling me jokes.
A B C D
81. How much is she earn a month? – About 100 dollars.
A B C D
82. We will hold a party tomorrow. Let’s decorate the room.
A B C D
83. The workshop is so interesting that we aren’t wanting to leave now.
A B C D
84. I’m going to take part in the night prom next week. It will be the annual event of my school.
A B C D
85. Is your friend come to pick you up? – No, he isn’t.
A B C D
86. Some people enjoy watching blockbuster films but some people aren’t.
A B C D
87. What’s the matter with you? Why are you cry?
A B C D
88. Ms. Lien is so kind that she is donating thousands of pounds to charity twice yearly.
A B C D
89. He isn’t speaking English very well because he has been learning for 5 months.
A B C D
90. Ngoc is always very busy. She is practises violin regularly.
A B C D
Part IV. SPEAKING
Exercise 7. Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct response to each of the following exchanges.
91. “How fashionable a pair of trainers you have!” – “_____
A. Do you want to know where I bought them? B. Thanks for your compliment.
C. I know it’s fashionable. D. Yes, of course.
92. “What can I do for you?” – “_____”
A. No need to help. B. Thank you.
C. Thanks, I’m just looking. D. Sorry for not buying anything.
93. “How was the game show last night?” – “____”
A. It showed at 8 o’clock.
B. Just talking about it.
C. I think it wasn’t a good game.
D. Great. I gained more knowledge about biology.
94. “What did the meeting discuss? I didn’t attend it because of traffic jam.” – “ ____”
A. I didn’t, either. B. That was great.
C. You missed the meeting. D. I’m sorry, I can’t.
95. “I’ve called many times but the plumber hasn’t come yet.” – “ ____”
A. Wait a minute, please.
B. We do apologise for this matter. We’ll fix it soon.
C. He’s maybe busy now.
D. The problem has been fixed already.
96. “ Would you like to have a picnic with us on the weekend?” – “ ____”
A. Yes, I’d love to. B. You’re welcome. C. Of course not. D. It’s my pleasure.
97. “Have a good day, Peter!” – “____”
A. Thanks. The same to you. B. It’s really a good day.
C. The weather is fine. D. Just a little bit cold.
98. “Which one will you purchase, yellow dress or blue one?” – “____”
A. I don’t like, either. B. They’re suitable for you.
C. It’s up to my choice. D. I prefer the blue.
99. “What’s the deadline of our assignment?” – “____”
A. I am not sure. B. We have to submit it by Friday 12.
C. About 1 hour. D. We will write about the environment.
100. “Don’t touch the subjects on display, Nam.” – “____”
A. Ok, let me touch. B. That’s right.
C. Sorry, I don’t know. D. I agree with you, it’s a rule.
101. “Why do you like pop music?” – “____”
A. Pop music originated in the Western world.
B. Because it is soft and beautiful.
C. Westlife is a pop band.
D. Since the 1950s, pop has had some new elements.
102. “What’s your neighbourhood like?” – “____”
A. I live in Ha Noi. B. Sounds good. I like living there.
C. It’s good. I love it. D. No, there is no hospital there.
103. “It’s nearly Tct holiday already.” – “____”
A. How time flies! B. Thanks a million.
C. Don’t make me laugh! D. No such luck!
104. “You can borrow my book.” – “____”
A. There’s nothing to it! B. You can such that again!
C. No way! D. Thanks tons.
105. “Excuse me. Could you tell me the way to Central Station?” – “____”
A. Sure. Just go along this street. B. Oh no. This way will take us nowhere.
C. There is no way you can do it. D. That’s it! Thanks for your instruction!
Part V. READING
Exercise 8. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
A recent study shows that an unequal share of household chores is still the norm in many households, (106) ____ the fact that many more women now have jobs. In a survey of 1,256 people (107) ____ between 18 and 65, men said they contributed an average of 37 per cent of the total housework, while the women (108) ____ their share to be nearly double that, at 70 per cent. This ratio was not affected by (109) ____ the woman was working or not.
When they were asked what they thought was a fair division of labour, women with jobs felt that housework should (110) ____ shared equally between male and female partners. Women who did not work outside the home were satisfied to perform 80 per cent – the majority of housework – if their husbands did the (111) ____. Research has shown that if levels increase beyond these percentages, women become unhappy and anxious, and feel they are (112) ____.
After marriage, a woman is reported to increase her household workload (113) ____ 14 hours per week, but for men (114) ____ amount is just 90 minutes. So the division of labour becomes unbalanced, (115) ____ the man’s share increases much less than the woman’s. It is the inequality and (116) ____ of respect, not the actual number of hours. which leads to (117) ____ and depression. The research even (118) ____ housework as thankless and unfulfilling.
106. A. in spite B. despite C. although D. even
107. A. aged B. aging C. age D. ages
108. A. guessed B. judged C. estimated D. valued
109. A. what B. whether C. which D. that
110. A. being B. been C. to be D. be
111. A. remaining B. remain C. remainder D. remained
112. A. essential B. slight C. worthy D. unimportant
113. A. by B. to C. at D. in
114. A. a B. an C. the D. some
115. A. as B. so C. but D. then
116. A. waste B. loss C. disadvantage D. death
117. A. anxiety B. anxious C. anxiously D. anxiousness
118. A. draws B. expresses C. reports D. describes
Exercise 9. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.
Lorna: I might retire early. I don’t know. I’m 55 and my husband retired last year. He spends most of his time in the garden. I’d really like to be there with him though I am not quite fond of the tasks. I’m definitely going to learn a new language. I hale going abroad and speaking English.
Cass: I’m only 26, so I’m not going to retire soon! In fact I want to have more chances to earn our living. Jamie and I are going to have a baby next year and we’re really excited about that. We want to have a big family and live in a big house. Then, when I retire my children and grandchildren will all be able to stay.
Sue: Well, Roger and I don’t agree about retiring. I love work and I don’t want to retire! I know I won’t have anything to do.
Roger: I asked my boss at work recently and I might be able to retire next year. I might buy a house in France and spend the time that my family deserved to have with me long before. I’d love to have my first long-awaited visit to Paris with my wife one day.
Linda: I want to retire as soon as possible. I have three sons and now I don’t even have time to play with them. They will become mature very soon and don’t want to spend quality time with me. I can’t stand the thought.
119. The reason Lorna looks forward to her retirement is because ____.
A. her husband has already retired B. she likes doing gardening
C. she hates travelling abroad D. she likes to learn English
120. Which of the following is NOT true about Cass?
A. His baby is born the following year. B. He wants his family to live in a big house.
C. He wants to retire soon. D. He wants to earn more money.
121. Who does NOT want to retire shortly?
A. Linda B. Sue C. Roger D. Lorna
121. Roger ____.
A. has spent enough time with his family already B. will ask his boss for retirement next year
C. has never been to Paris before D. doesn’t want to go to Paris
122. The word “mature” in the passage is closest in meaning to ____.
A. old B. grown-up C. childish D. young
Exercise 10. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.
Except for a few unfortunate individuals, no law in this world can go against the fact that for most of us our family is an essential part of our lives. The moment you enter this cruel world, where each man is for himself, there are some near and dear ones out there who will do anything to ensure your happiness.
We are nothing more than a vulnerable and fragile object, without someone taking care of us on our arrival in this world. Despite all the odds, your family will take care of your well-being, and try their best to provide you the greatest comforts in the world. No one out there, except your family must forgive the endless number of mistakes you may make in your life. Apart from teaching you forgive and forget lessons, they-are always there for you, when you need them the most.
Family is the only place where children study a lot after school. In school, teachers teach children about the subjects which will help them to find a good job in future. But at home, parents teach children about good habits. They are not only the elements which help the children to shape their personalities but they also prepare them a sustainable and bright future.
A good family makes a greater society. Father, mother, children have to work in order to build a strong family. If any one of them fail, the whole family may collapse. The good name of the whole family can be ruined by a single member of the family. In order to avoid that unhappy scenario, every family member has to work hard and try their best. As a result, they will set good examples lor the whole society. Families impacts very much on society and societies create countries.
124. According to the passage, which of the following is NOT true?
A. Family is a vital part of your life.
B. Not everyone has a family.
C. We will effortlessly be damaged without our family.
D. Some laws in the world may oppose the functions ot family.
125. In the writer’s opinion, ____.
A. it is not the function of the family to make sure we are happy
B. your family will be with you regardless of difficulties
C. family creates some easily-spoilt creatures
D. people can be easily forgiven by people around
126. To children, family plays a role in ____.
A. teaching them academic subjects
B. developing their personal traits
C. helping them to find a good job
D. encouraging them to study a lot at school
127. The word “They” in the passage refers to ____.
A. children B. teachers C. good habits D. parents
I28. The word “ruined” in the passage is closest in meaning to ____.
A. destroyed B. saved C. built D. constructed
129. According to the passage, which of the following is true about the relation between family and society?
A. When a family fails, the w hole society falls down.
B. A family member w ill be unhappy to fry his best.
C. Hinnly members have responsibilities to set good examples.
D. Strong families build a wealthy society.
130. Which of the following is the best title for the passage?
A. Educational role ot family B. The importance of family
Part VI. WRITING
Exercise 11. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
131. The food price will change at the end of this month.
A. The food price will be the same until the end of this month.
B. The food price of this month will be equal to the one of next month.
C. There will be no same food price from now till next month.
D. There will be two different food prices next month.
132. All the other schools in the city are more expensive than my school.
A. My school is one of the most expensive schools in the city.
B. There are some more expensive schools than mine in the city.
C. My school is the least expensive school in the city.
D. There are some cheaper schools than my school in the city.
133. Does anyone know what this sculpture is worth today?
A. Does anyone know if it is deserving to have this sculpture?
B. Does anyone know whether someone should own this sculpture today?
C. Does anyone know if today this sculpture is valuable or not?
D. Does anyone know how much this sculpture costs today?
134. “Stop treating me that way!” she cried out.
A. She warned me not to treat her that way.
B. She urged me not to treat her that way.
C. She begged me not to treat her that way.
D. She advised me not to treat her that way.
135. She can do it because she knows the system inside out.
A. She can do it because she is from inside the system.
B. She can do it because the system is sometimes in and sometimes out.
C. She can do it because she understands the system thoroughly.
D. The confidential system enables her to do because she knows it.
Exercise 12. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the sentence that best combines each pair of sentences in the following questions.
136. I am the youngest son in the family. I didn’t have to do much housework.
A. Being the youngest son in the family, I didn’t have to do much housework.
B. If I was the youngest son in the family, I wouldn t have done much housework.
C. Although I am the youngest son in the family, I wouldn’t have done much housework.
D. Despite the fact that I am the youngest son in the family, I did not have to do much housework.
137. We need to share the tasks. The burden on each member will be more tolerable.
A. Although the burden on each member will be more tolerable, we still need to share the tasks.
B. We need to share the tasks so the burden on each member will be more tolerable.
C. Unless we share the tasks, the burden on each member will be more tolerable.
D. It is essential to share the tasks, otherwise, the burden on each member will be more tolerable.
138. Dan saw all the paintings. He left right after.
A. Dan left right after to see all the paintings.
B. Dan left all the paintings after seeing them.
C. Right after seeing all the paintings, Dan left.
D. He left and then saw the paintings right after.
139. I usually like red. I wore black to the party last night.
A. Because I usually like red, I wore black to the party last night.
B. Although I usually like red. I wore black to the party last night.
C. Unless I like red, I wore black to the party last night.
D. As a result of my interest in red, I wore black to the party last night.
140. He tried his best. He won the biggest prize.
A. If he had tried his best, he could have won the biggest prize.
B. Unless he tried his best, he couldn’t win the biggest prize.
C. Although he tried his best, he still won the biggest prize.
D. If he hadn’t tried his best, he couldn’t have won the biggest prize.
Download đầy đủ tài liệu ở đây: